Stord municipality has approximately 18.000 inhabitants and covers a area of 143,6 km2 and lies in Hordaland. The city of Stord is the regional centre of Sunnhordland a technological centre with large and interesting industrial companies like Kværner Stord (Aker Stord). The variation will surprise you: Hightech industry – A nature comprising breathtaking vegetation, grand glaciers, sheltered fjords and a wild coast – National heritage. The town covers the Southern half of the island of Stord in addition to the islands of Huglo and Føyno, as well as a couple of smaller islands. The Northern half of the Island is the municipality of Fitjar. Stord is well served with ferries, fast boats, the Coastal bus, airport and the Triangular link to the mainland. It is possible to travel to the island of Stord in many ways from several directions. The coastal trunk road E 39 passes across the island. The Triangle Link, with its two suspension bridges and the longest underwater tunnel in Northern Europe, gives a ferry free connection to the mainland in the South and to the neighbouring island Bømlo to the West.
Stord is well served with ferries, fast boats, the Coastal bus, airport and the Triangular link to the mainland. It is possible to travel to the island of Stord in many ways from several directions. The coastal trunk road E 39 passes across the island. The Triangle Link, with its two suspension bridges and the longest underwater tunnel in Northern Europe, gives a ferry free connection to the mainland in the South and to the neighbouring island Bømlo to the West.
Kværner Stord is a shipyard at Stord in Hordaland owned by Kværner ASA . Kværner Stord delivered tops and bridge constructions to the Eldfisk 2/7 S in the North Sea early in 2014 and the completed Edvard Grieg platform in 2015. By 2015, Kværner Stord had 1750 employees. In 2016, Kværner began to build the equipment and housing platform for the Johan Sverdrup field.
THE MINING HOUSE
The mine at Litlabø was in operation from 1865 to 1968, and had up to 400 employees. For guided tours.
“Omnshuset” at Huglo, is a new house built in old traditionel style. It is a private museum which houses a unique collection of old ironstoves from the period: 1850-1950. It was opened summer 2004.
A two kilometre long path passes through the reserve from Storhaug in the South to Sæverhagsvikjo in the North. Hystadmarkjo is the largest black alder wood in Northern Europe and a very popular place for walks. 16 bronze age burial mounds and a well kept Cholera cemetery can also be seen. Signs with information are placed at intervals along the path.
Arts and crafts, Ceramics, Glass, Paintings, Photographs, Sale, Sculptures, Silverwork.
THE MILLING HOUSE
A part of Sunnhordland Museum. Lodging and warehouse for the owners of the Frugards mill, this mill was in operation until the 1950’s. A collage shows the history of industry by the Frugardsverg (mill, timber mill, shipbuilding, and power station).
The main library on Stord, Stord Library (Stord Folkebibliotek), is situated in Kulturhuset in Leirvik.
The cinema in Kulturhuset has two auditoria; one seating 427 persons, the other seating 136.
Sunnhordland Folkemuseum was started in 1913 and is the regional museum for Sunnhordland. The main buildings and collections are located in the Vidsteen Park on Stord, a few minutes walk from Leirvik centre, altogether 11 buildings: two with open-hearth rooms, one bailiff’s official residence, school house, general store, storekeeper’s cottage, storehouse, smithy, cookhouse and barn. The collection counts 10.000 numbers, in the library there are 10.000 books, old and new. The photo collection counts 20.000 numbers.
The museum is responsible for 42 buildings of antiquarian value in Sunnhordland, between these are the ruins of the monastery on Halsnøy, the Sæbøtun in Etne, the Nerheimtun in Ølen, Nistovetunet, Haugahuset and Gjerdetunet in Kvinnherad and Seløystova on Tysnes. The museum does not have a home page of their own, but guided tours may be arranged by telephone.
There are visitor’s quays in Leirvik and Sagvåg. In the middle of the regional centre, innermost in Evjo, lies the visitors harbour for the use of the owners of pleasure boats. Here it is possible to connect on to the electrical supply and it is next to Notahaugsbryggjo, where there are toilets / showers and launderette. It is within walking distance to restaurants, shops, chemist, police, post etc. If you have any questions contact one of our deputies, who are most willing to be of assistance. The users of the harbour in Sagvåg consider it to be one of the best on the Western coast of Norway. Shops and service area are within walking distance here as well.
There are several sheltered beaches around the island suitable for swimming. Some are owned by the municipality. Jektevikjo, Ådlandsvatnet, Sponavikjo, Sætravikjo, Fletaneset, Vaskeriplanet, Båtsvikjo, Fuglavikjo, Breivikjo, Todlaneset, Dagfinnsvikjo, Kyvikjo, Hystadvikjo, Melkevikjo, Apalvikjo and Alnavågen.
The swimming pool in the Kulturhuset is closed in the summer of 2003 due to maintenance. The pool is 25 x 12.5 m. It has a waterslide and diving tower as well as a baby pool of 7 x 3.5 m with warmer water and a miniature water slide.
While on Stord you may choose from a varied selection of walks. Several walks, both marked and unmarked, are in the lowland and in the hills. In addition more than 110 km. of forestry (timber) roads crosses the woods. The tourist information desk in the Kulturhuset, bookshops and some sport shops sell maps.
The most popular walking area is Landåsen. This area is a ten minutes walk from Leirvik centre. Take the footpath past Kulturhuset up to Vikastemmo and continue past the little lake to the pedestrian crossing just short of the Circle K petrol station at Vabakkjen and you are there. There are other good starting points at Lønningsdalen, Vassenden, Valvatne and Skjepåsen. Another popular area is Nesskogen at Sætravik (Sagvåg).
Hystadmarkjo nature reserve. A two kilometre long path passes through the reserve from Storhaug in the South to Sæverhagsvikjo in the North. Hystadmarkjo is the largest black alder wood in Northern Europe and a very popular place for walks. 16 bronze age burial mounds and a well kept Cholera cemetery can also be seen. Signs with information are placed at intervals along the path.
The culture and nature trail at Huglo. A 5 km long trail has been made at Huglo, the largest island in the municipality. The trail passes by a disused copper mine, ruins of lime kilns and Kuhidlaren, an archaeological site dating back 3500 years.
For those who want to do training or jogging in the winter months, three illuminated tracks are available.
This illuminated 3,2 km. track is by far the most popular in the community as it is only minutes away from Leirvik. Usually you start from Vabakkjen, but you may get in from Studalen and Lønningsdalen.
Stord athletic club has a 4,2 km. long illuminated skiing track at Lundssæter. It is a 15 minutes drive from Leirvik towards Fjellstova and Kattnakken.
In Prestegardsskogen athletic park there is a 1,4 km. long path as well as football fields, both grass and gravel.
Stord Golfclub is a golf course with 9 holes and a variation of difficulties. The course lies at Stord Prestegard, approximately 5 minutes drive from Leirvik center.